Monday, March 14, 2011

Under the Wire!

I am filled with inspiration but unable to pin it down and put it on paper. The ideas have form and are just waiting for me to give them shape, yet, somehow, when I sit down to write, nothing comes out. Am I afraid of the ideas? Afraid that once they're ink and paper, they'll be a letdown? But isn't that what revision is for? Even though I am a writer who feels that the more you revise a story, the further it is from what you originally envisioned, I do understand that a good edit has never hurt any story. Or am I afraid of what comes after they're written? Am I afraid that I'll have to enter these stories into competitions, submit them to literary magazines to be judged, and they won't place or be given a slot in the magazine? Yes, I am afraid of the rejection, but now I find I'm more afraid of the idea of never trying, never challenging myself to do better, be better. I'm afraid my 'children' won't win any first place trophies, but I have to make sure they're beautiful and ready to go just in case they are chosen for the pageant.

No comments:

Post a Comment