Tuesday, March 15, 2011

On Men

I am afraid of my opinion of men. If I am truly honest with myself, I don't like them very much. I don't mean sexually, there is no doubt in my mind that I am frighteningly heterosexual (nothing hits me as viscerally as a sexually exciting man), I just have little interest in going beyond the surface and really trying to get to know men on an emotionally intimate level. This bothers me because it makes me a hypocrite; I rail against the proverbial male gaze that casts women as nothing more than fodder for men's enjoyment and yet, I objectify certain men, seeing them as nothing more substantial as material for, well...I don't think I need to say anything else.

I don't want to be that person, whatever the female equivalent to a chauvinist is (of course there's no word for a female chauvinist pig-I couldn't be the first of this kind-could I)? So how do I force myself to see men as people, with hopes and dreams and ideas independent and completely separate from their sexuality? How do I, gasp, cultivate friendships with men?

No comments:

Post a Comment